Re: Re: marker pens

Subject: Re: Re: marker pens
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:51:53 +1000
on 16/10/02 7:21 PM, evertveldhuis at  wrote:

> ....On the
> other hand, CDR's are supposed to last about 10 years if stored under
> good conditions. I back up my <back up CDR's> every 8 years or so....

Evert and All,

Some interesting comments on this thread, thanks to all.  But a CD-R that
lasts only ten years??!!  Shock horror!!  The Verbatim "DataLifePlus" CD-R
discs that I use (when I can get them) claim "100 years archival life".  I
was hoping for perhaps 50 years, if stored in good conditions.  Are Verbatim
and other CD-R manufacturers' claims for their products, patently untrue?

> If you want to be certain the best you can; just don't write anything
> on it, write it on the jewelbox. Second best scenario; write on the
> see thru part where no metal is underneath...

OK I'll try writing on the see-thru part in the middle, from now on.  All I
need to write is a code number, very small, and I'm using a waterproof
superfine permanent marker (presumably it is oil-based as it has an alcohol
base).  I'll keep doing that until I'm convinced I must not.

Vicki Powys
Australia