Re: Re: MS OS versions?

Subject: Re: Re: MS OS versions?
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 00:28:37 -0400
At 04:11 PM 8/19/02 -0700, you wrote:
>98SE can handle 512M, though system performance degrades after 384 as the
>operations become very noticably slower.
>
>and oh yeah, hello all. My name is Zach Scribner and I'm new to the list. =
>work with Dan Dugan who is also on this list. I help out at the NSS field
>workshops, do some music/field recording on my own and am an electronic
>music student at San Francisco State.
>thanks for an awsome list.

HI Zach!

Thanks. Welcome!  Glad to see the National Speleological Society on board,=

I'm NSS # 17757, a member since 1973.(joke) ;^)

And my next question is: is there any way to make 98SE let go of its
insistence on making "temporary" disc files out of every process you are
working on?  With my out-of-date laptop, and 80 megs of HD space, and 32
megs of RAM, I open two programs (log on and Eudora) and I am shortly "out=

of disc space".  What the heck does it have to do with all that 80 megs of=

temp files and 32 megs of RAM?   Almost makes me long for the relatively
bug-free days of DOS, where you could actually monitor what the OS was
doing, and a database file was a disc file, not held preciously in memory
all the time.

Nowadays, Microsoft seems to be always virtually incorrect.  Or should that=

be, virtually always incorrect?

my very best,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates
PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

coming soon : EnjoyBirds, bird identification software for all AOU area.