canberrabirds

Tree destruction... Delete if too long!

To: "Chris Davey" <>
Subject: Tree destruction... Delete if too long!
From: "Rosie - Internode" <>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:46:19 +1100
If anyone has the time to apply greater input & pressure to this situation I'll mention a document that was 'found' in one of the libraries, The Canberra Plan: Towards our second century. There is an A4 form associated with this entitled  Have your say on Canberra's future.*  The apparent idea is that the documents will enable community conversations about Canberra's future.
There is a section A Sustainable future  which includes " Acted to further protect our native grasslands and red gum areas by committing more land to the network of Canberra Nature Reserves. The reserves at Goorooyarroo and Callum Brae are high-quality additions, and with their inclusion 54 per cent of the ACT is now protected bushland." (page 90) There is also mention of the Eastlake development which "will recognise the environmental importance of Jerrabomberra Wetlands, protect existing land uses and reflect the cultural and historical significance of the area". Of "yellow box-red gum grassy woodlands...its ongoing protection from urban development is important for the ACT, the region and the nation." And there's mention of Kinlyside, Kama, Aranda, Lawson & Newline (page 96)

COG members know enough about recent planning directions to read through the greenwash in this document whether it relates to ecological issues or other matters of significance to Canberra & regional residents. It wouldn't hurt to reiterate in responses over tree destruction, that the constant death of a thousand cuts permitted & perpetrated on parts of nature reserves, suburban open spaces & even our actual suburbs' ambiences is diametrically opposed to the stated aims of this document & many previously published reports, reviews and election promises.

The document has very slender Contact details. Canberra Connect is cited 13 22 81 and http://www.act.gov.au  You can guess who wrote the foreword.
I have tried asking what 'community conversation' advertising about this plan has been implemented but have had no reply as yet.

Thanks for your time
Rosemary