canberrabirds

tree destruction

To: "'canberrabirds chatline'" <>
Subject: tree destruction
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:11:58 +1100

Hi all,

Several weeks ago Marnix wrote expressing his concern over the removal of trees in Harrison in areas of known Superb Parrot habitat. Yesterday I drove past the new Crace subdivision, which is on the former CSIRO site bordering the Barton Highway, Gundaroo Drive and up as far as the Gungahlin Hill Nature Reserve. This area is heavily dotted with mature remnant Yellow Box and Blakely’s Red Gum trees. I was very concerned to see that some of these trees have already started to be removed. No doubt many others will go in the not too distant future as roads and housing blocks are created. Many of those that remain after all that will be removed as people complain that they are a danger to their property, especially the way the planning people have created tiny blocks that people want to build gigantic mansions on, leaving virtually no room for any sort of garden, let alone grow a decent sized tree. The previous government had an atrocious environmental attitude and this current mob, so called “Greens” and all, appear to be no better.

Canberra is very rapidly loosing its “Bush Capital” image, but try telling that to the Government – they couldn’t care less. It appears that, so long as they are making money, why worry about the environment. Their endangered species legislation is a joke – who cares if trees go and a listed species is involved? It appears that they certainly don’t.

You will notice I have cc’d this note to the Chief Minister. I will be interested to see his reply, if any.

Cheers,

Mark