canberrabirds

Tree Destruction continued - Throsby issue

To: "martin butterfield" <>
Subject: Tree Destruction continued - Throsby issue
From: "Jenny Bounds" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:57:15 +1100
Martin, we dont know the whole story, and its doubtful we would get meaningful documents; would probably have to do an FOI request, not really sure what docs we are looking for or the time, its likely to cost and may not get anything useful.  We understand from speaking with some contacts that the paddocks were very overgrazed and it was in a dry period at the time the area was 'assessed' when the Action Plans were developed in the last 10 years.  The emphasis for Gov has been generally to preserve the best quality areas, and in early 2000s there was a focus on getting Gooroo and an area of secondary grassland in reserve, so you can kind of understand how this area was 'overlooked'.  By the way, the whole Throsby area has been on the Territory Plan for housing for a very long time (several decades), and its likely that little or no environmental assessment was undertaken originally by the planning authority.
cheers
Jenny