birding-aus

New Bird Life logo

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: New Bird Life logo
From: Greg Oakley <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 17:57:49 +1100
Hi all,

I have read with interest some of the comments regarding the new Birdlife
Australia logo, and as someone who has worked in the branding/design
industry for a long time, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth!

Firstly, In regard to the (non) consultation process, in my experience it is
highly counter-productive to have "open-consultation", the main reason being
that design is intrinsically opinion-based and a consensus with any clarity
is nearly impossible when put in front of more than a handful of people.

This isn't just designers being arrogant ­ I have seen many a logo go
through an open consultation process where there have been so many different
opinions that the whole process gets bogged down and eventually grinds to a
halt, with the result of nothing successfully achieved!

Having said that, however, a brand design should always go through an
exhaustive process with a panel of designated people to ensure the best
result.

My opinion of the logo? As a design image it's certainly not a disaster.

But from a Branding perspective I just don't think its in the right
territory. It doesn't invoke birds and birding to me ­ but perhaps being an
addicted bird-nerd, I'm biased!
When I showed some of my design colleagues the logo, all concurred that it
would look more at home on cosmetics packaging!
Also that it seems to lack feeling and emotion, that its a little cold and
distant? And just a bit disappointing?.

I'm in no way attacking the designer/s ­ I know only too well how difficult
the whole process of arriving at a solution is ­ they may even have
presented multiple options which were superior, but were "voted" out?

And I certainly have no "sour grapes" because I personally didn't get a
crack at it! The design business is highly competitive and we all live day
to day winning and losing jobs (I actually emailed BA over 8 months ago
registering interest in the logo and never received a reply!)

Open, free opinion and discussion, however, is what design is all about, and
its just my opinion?

Carl mentioned that if you can achieve a 50% positive response with a
branding exercise your'e doing well.
I totally agree ­ and very soon everyone will get used to the image and
accept it. It takes time for a brand image to become familiar.

Sorry for the rant ­ I hope some of this makes sense,

Cheers,
Greg