birding-aus

Fw: New BirdLife logo

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Fw: New BirdLife logo
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:24:38 +1000
PS
just in case I am challenged on bird relevance in previous message here are a couple of extracts from "All in the Mind" today ...

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/the-marco-polo-of-neuroscience-vs-ramachandran/3440754

That's correct. So the argument is this is what if seagulls had an art gallery they would han(d)g this long stick with the three red stripes on the wall, they would worship it, call it a Picasso, pay millions of dollars for it but not understand why. Because it doesn't resemble anything, why am I mesmerised?"

"Then I came across the Australian bower birds and then I said "my God, they are creating these amazingly beautiful bowers". The male bower bird is a drab little fellow but as a sort of Freudian compensation he creates these amazing bachelor pads which have got archways, lawns and he decorates them with little berries, certain coloured berries grouped into the red berries in one group, blue berries in another group - there is symmetry, there is 'grouping', there is colour contrast - all the aesthetic principles which we deploy in our art, here's a bird brain deploying the same principles. So not only are there aesthetic principles across cultures maybe even across phylogenetic lines, across species. That's what I tell some of the art historians whose start arguing with me about, 'how can there be artistic universals?'"

wendy