birding-aus

New Bird Life Logo

To: <>
Subject: New Bird Life Logo
From: "Carl Weber" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 20:39:26 +1100
Dear Office Holders and Members,

In case someone is taking notice and counting, here is my opinion as a
paying Member:

1.  I firmly believe that a Logo IS important and is worth taking time and
money over. It is important in relation to fund raising and in political
campaigns.

2. I fully support the process that was used to decide on the new Logo. I
prefer some degree of expertise to be applied,  and prefer and expect staff
and office bearers to make such decisions. I am not in favour of open votes,
plebiscites, opinion polls or focus groups.

3. It's not my favourite ever Logo. The Birdlife International Logo, for
example, shows a clearly unmistakable bird and, is in my opinion, more apt.
Nevertheless, I am not an expert logo judge and am quite prepared to live
with it for two or three years, and evaluate  the impact that it has. Years
ago, the Commonwealth Bank introduced a very strange new logo, which it
still uses, apparently with some success - and I still think it's strange.

The e-mails to date indicate that those males who have commented largely
dislike the logo and that females largely like it. (It may therefore prove
to be effective in relation to half of the population, and may attract new
female members.)

To conclude, I am totally in awe of those members, obviously Australasian,
who see the Logo as a grebe. To me it looks like a rounded naked lady. But
as my wife will attest, I am insensitive and quite hoary-headed.

Carl Weber