birding-aus

An unfortunate way to tick a Frogmouth

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: An unfortunate way to tick a Frogmouth
From: Joseph Morlan <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 09:06:11 -0700
On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 08:20:07 +1030, martin cachard <>
wrote:

>I think it's pretty simple really, & I've always been puzzled when records of
>dead seabirds for eg are counted as records but observers in the main don't
>tick them...
>it seems very inconsistent to me - a record is a record, surely!!

I suspect it's because ticking is not science; it's a sport.  Counting dead
birds is not sportsmanlike because the bird has no chance of escaping or
getting away.

It would be like a hunter claiming "credit" for shooting a duck that was
already dead?

But ultimately it's your list unless you are in a competition.
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt