birding-aus

Re: Cocos & Christmas Island Rarities

To: Lloyd Nielsen <>
Subject: Re: Cocos & Christmas Island Rarities
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:36:25 +1100
Lloyd,

You raise a good point about including accidentals in field guides. It is a real bugbear of mine. Why waste space in a field guide with
illustrations and descriptions of species which have turned up in a
country once or twice, some times 100 years or more ago. There is no
useful place in a field guide for such species. To me they are just
padding. If the publisher/author want to include them, put them in a
separate section. I have no problem with accidentals being included in tomes such as HANZAB, as they are valuable reference tools, which I
don't think many of us carry in the field.

Cheers

Carl Clifford