birding-aus

Re: RE: [Birding-Aus] Re: Cocos & Christmas Island Rarities

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Re: RE: [Birding-Aus] Re: Cocos & Christmas Island Rarities
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 00:21:52 +0000
The really vital thing about Christmas and Cocos Islands is that the endemics (inc Abbott's Booby), and other birds and fauna and flora are properly protected. To that extent I am grateful that Australia administers these territories because I think there is more chance of proper conservation happening there than if a poorer country administered them. And all credit to birdwatchers and others who keeps these issues in the public and official eye.

Having said that if I ever went to these territories I would add any birds that I saw there to to my oriental list, not my australian list, because I think that lists have to have a biogeographic sense. For example I don't have an ACT list because "The ACT" isn'ta biogeographical area. (All right, all right, I know how many species I've seen within the borders of the ACT, I just haven't written a list).

As to the other issue, I would prefer to see field guide to Australian Birds kept to the Australian mainland and Tasmania, so they aren't too bulky and confusing for beginners. I think there is scope, especially with the ease of publishing nowadays, for local field guides to territories. I think that A Guide to the Birds of Christmas and Cocos Islands would be a nice title and very suitable for selling to visitors to the island, and such a title would also raise conservation issues and inform local people about these.

John Leonard

On , Peter Shute <> wrote:
I didn't see it as an attempt to change the direction of the debate. The idea was put forward that including birds seen on these islands on the Australian list encouraged birders to visit them, and that that would be good for the birds because the locals would see some value in protecting them.

I'm not necessarily agreeing that that fully justifies having them on the list. I agree that for most of us, for most of the time, these species are adding to the size of the field guides for no good reason (but to what extent, I haven't actually checked).

I like the idea of a supplementary list, but would it result in smaller field guides? Unless there's a viable market for guides just for this list, it would still be more practical to just keep adding them to the current guides.

Peter Shute