birding-aus

RFI Field Guides South Africa

To: Lynn Jenkin <>
Subject: RFI Field Guides South Africa
From: Phil Penlington <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 00:19:09 -0800 (PST)
Hi Dick

I can just echo what most have already said, but definitely the best in my
opinion is "Sasol Birds of Southern Africa by Sinclair, Hockey and Tarboton",
as long as you are just visiting Southern African (anything from Namibia, Zim,
and Southern Mozambique down). If you are planning to also bird in central
Africa, I would suggest "Birds of Africa South of the Sahara by Sinclair and
Ryan". The latter is much more comprehensive, but a bit daughting due to the
shear number of birds illustrated that it can be a bit much as a field guide
when just doing Southern Africa. A quick check this morning at my local news
agent had stock of bot at R220 and R380 respectively, so it won't be a problem
to pick up one when you get to SA.

As others have also said, there are some excellent books out on where to go and
what to look for. If you need any help with titles etc, let me know. Also
SAbirdnet is an excellent resource and I am sure you will get some help there
as well.

As an aside, I have just returned from your beautiful country where I had an
awesome holiday in Brisbane with family, and although my time was very limited,
I managed some excellent birding and notched up 48 lifers and a list of almost
200 from the immediate area around Brisbane! Oz Birdnet is an amazing resource
and the thanks to all the people who responded to my RFI late last year.

Good luck with your trip and shout if there are any other questions.

Phil Penlington
www.birdpics.co.za