birding-aus

Windfarm finale (?)

To: Chris Corben <>,
Subject: Windfarm finale (?)
From: "Whittaker, Mark" <>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:17:19 +1000
Without denying someone their right to find something ugly, the aesthetic
argument is nonsense when its consequences are taken into account.
Taking the two extremes - your 70,000 turbines dotted along the apalachian
ridge (a stunningly beautiful part of the world), might not seem so
unpleasant when compared to a dustbowl across America's breadbasket, famine
in china, depopulation of Australia's interior (humans and critters) and all
the other more dire predictions of what global warming might do.
These things aren't subtle either. Ice core evidence shows that when the
earth's temperature changes, it does it quickly. It flips in a scale of
years and decades, not centuries. Modern humans have enjoyed an
unprecedented 10,000 years of relative climate stability. I don't want to be
around when it ends.
So, ugly is in the eye of the beholder, but who knows what we might be
beholding in the future.
windfarms, nukes, solar, waves, tides - whatever we can get our hands on I
reckon.
Regards
Mark Whittaker