birding-aus

Elephants

Subject: Elephants
From: Stewart Ford <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:45:50 +0800
I agree Graham,

A cynic might say that it was all a money-making exercise, using the elephants as drawcards for visitors. However, more ticket sales presumably means that the native animals in the Zoos in question will receive more attention from the public (& funding) in years to come. This is good for the future of conservation in Australia because this is where most kids see native animals for the first time; they can attribute some value to their existence and make decisions later on in life that could help them.

Some might even become zoologists/conservationists ;)

Stewart Ford

PS: I am not pro-zoo at all, it enrages me to think that all this money is being spent locally where it could be doing real good in conserving the animals' native habitat. Orangutangs are another example of this. But there are arguments for both sides, particularly if, upon seeing these endangered animals, people are encouraged to support organisations that actually do actively conserve them.