birding-aus

Elephants

To: "'Graham Turner'" <>,
Subject: Elephants
From: "Andrew, Paul" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:17:52 +1000
Hi birding-aus

I hesitate to comment here, partly because of my position, and partly because elephants seems a bit off topic, but if I may be allowed a personal observation there are some points that need clarification.

Conservation is a far more complicated subject than the few lines in a newspaper, or sound grab on the news, would lead the public to believe. We, as zoo curators, cringe every time we hear that a 'captive breeding program' is going to save such and such a species. To start with, there are different kinds of breeding program and they have different goals. It's relatively easy to breed and release, and this is the kind of program we engage in with NPWS, or some other wildlife agency. The kind of program we are talking about with elephants is a 'preservation' program, a plan to retain behavioural integrity and genetic variation for a long period, usually 100 years, in captivity. This kind of program is complicated, expensive and of uncertain outcome. It assumes there will be habitat for the species in a hundred years time. It assumes that humankind will have brought its population under control and that attitudes will have changed. It assumes that careful and continuous genetic management will enable the captive population to retain most (our target is 90%) of the genetic variation in the wild population (at the time of sampling). It also assumes that humans can focus on one project for 100 years, which in itself is a long shot. There are few human endeavours that span generations (since the pyramids anyway).

Nonetheless, we aim to manage any species in our collection that has an IUCN threat status for retained genetic heterozygocity. Lions, tigers, lemurs, gibbons etc.. We do this because there is no other way. Many of these species will not survive this century in the wild. If future generations are to see a Sumatran Tiger on the slopes of Kerinci, the species will have to be nursed through this century (and make no mistake, a tiger in captivity, how ever good the care, is not a substitute for a tiger in the wild).

Because in the end conservation isn't about money and reserves, it's about people and attitudes. The money keeps a species alive from day to day but people secure its future. On paper, Indonesia has quite a good reserve system. In reality the locals see reserves as good places to poach, log, and plant. (And quite frankly I don't blame them. I am quickly irritated by the rich telling the poor to stay poor. If we privileged few in Australia, fat and careless as we are, end up living in a wasted continent, at least it's our fault. Pity the millions living in the Ganges delta who will be looking for higher ground as sea levels rise.)

Which is why elephants coming to Australia isn't just (or even mostly) about captive breeding. It's really about the 1.2 million visitors who visit Taronga. No one who has stood in the shadow of an elephant would countenance their extinction. If a fraction of our visitors left the zoo with slightly more inclination to vote green, with slightly more inclination to recycle water (trying to stay topical here), and with a slightly heightened sense of the impending loss, I'd bring in elephants by the truck load. The reality is that there is not much room left for wildlife and that the first victims will be the big stuff. As an adolescent I didn't much mind what happened to a species once I'd seen it. Now I recognise we have some obligations to future generations. To do what we can, however desperate.

Paul Andrew
Curator
Taronga Zoo
PO Box 20