birding-aus

Breeding

To: <>
Subject: Breeding
From: "Paul and Irene Osborn" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:58:32 +1000
Hi all,

In the last week I have noticed nesting behaviour of:

Magpies. Our resident pair building a new nest in a high voltage electricity
pylon, and one at Avondale carrying sticks into a large Eucalypt.

Yellow-rumped Thornbills. A pair are building in their usual nest tree (a
Melaleuca quinquinervia) in our yard. Saw one of them carrying down from our
chooks into the tree, probably for nest lining, suggesting the nest is well
advanced.

Welcome Swallows. A pair investigating an old nest, not used for about five
years, in our shed. If they decide to take up residence we will have to move
our car to the other side of the shed!

Red-browed Finches working on a nest in a Meleleuca armarillis down our back
paddock.

A female Wood Duck sitting next to a nest hollow in a Blackbutt near the
banks of Dora Ck, making that continuous frog-like chattering call.

Note that I am not suggesting any of this is early, or evidence of global
warming or anything, just that it's time for those interested in bird
nesting to be keeping an eye out.

Paul Osborn, Cooranbong NSW