birding-aus

Rain expected

To: "Penny Drake-Brockman" <>, "Syd Curtis" <>, <>
Subject: Rain expected
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:02:40 +1000
Hi Birders

What I love are the many calls of the Magpie-larks when the rain falls after long periods of draught in my area (Sans Souci - Sydney). It appears that they are happily gathering mud now. Of course it's always a wonderful winter morning sight to see a pair of Magpie-larks land in a treetop or upon a telegraph pole, thrust their chests upwards, spread their wings and perform their gorgeous duet calls.

Surely one of the great joys of being a bird lover is that these simple and timeless activities, which come at no cost, bring such immense joy to the heart.

Happy birding - Ricki