birding-aus

Rain expected

To: <>
Subject: Rain expected
From: "Paul and Irene Osborn" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:35:04 +1000
Rain expectedI married into a family that is aamant that Laughing
Kookaburras laugh when rain is coming. They claim it will rain within 5 days
of the laughter. Now, in normal weather, rain is frequent enough for this to
be coincidental, but, during the recent dry years I have been monitoring
this and have found that it rains within 3 days of Kookaburras laughing,
sometimes when no rain is forecast by the BoM. I have not documented this,
having better things to do with my time, but it should be easy for anyone to
verify or prove wrong. I will leave that as an exercise for the reader.
There is a book available describing the behaviour of animals as predictors
of weather events. I think it is called "Nature's Weather Watch" or
something similar. One claim the author(s) make is that horses lying down is
predictive of rain. I only wish this were true! It isn't, at least with my
horses.
Paul Osborn
Cooranbong NSW