birding-aus

Swift Parrots at Buff Point, NSW Central Coast

To: <>
Subject: Swift Parrots at Buff Point, NSW Central Coast
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:29:36 +1000
Hi Birderes,

This morning I took a long drive around Budgewoi & Toukley where Swift
Parrots had been reported in small numbers two weeks previously but without
any success. I then made my way to Buff Point, located between San Remo and
Budgewoi, on a penisular of land that juts down into Budgewoi Lake. There
are many original mature Forest Red Gums Eucalyptus teriticornis standing as
either street trees, backyard trees and in the foreshore reserve at Buff
Point, all flowering at present.

In an area bounded by Macumba Street, Buff Point Ave, Moola & Bruce Rds, and
taking in the foreshore reserve at the end of Mucumba St ( 33 14 20 S, 151
33 55 E), I counted over 122 Swift Parrots and there may have been more
because after the first count was made I found more birds And while I think
that it  was possible that some had doubled back, but I am sure they did
not! This is the largest population located so far on the Central Coast this
winter.

Alan Morris