birding-aus

RE: Unusual Galah

Subject: RE: Unusual Galah
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:19:12 +1100

This is what I like!  Some good rational debate with soundly thought-out arguments.

Claire makes some very good points.  I guess the only thing I'd like to contribute is to suggest that these birds are being bred in captivity for a market (there's another can of worms entirely).  Genetics are really of little consequence.  I'm guessing that the offspring will be mules (ie infertile) so the integrity of wild populations aren't threatened as such.

I think there are two very different camps when it comes to aviculturalists interested in captive breeding for conservation - a very small minority that are passionate about it and the rest that are really not interested.  Those aviculturalists that maintain wild-type specimens (and I think we are taking about a very small minority) would have to be taking founder stock from the wild, or sourcing stock originating from wild birds and maintained with a very sound stud book.  There would be no other way to be confidant about the genetic integrity of their birds.  I would be flat out coming up with more than a couple of species (outside zoos) where these standards are maintained.

There is a lot to be gained by keeping captive populations of threatened species.  What we have learned from our captive population of Regent Honeyeaters (very carefully maintained at >95% hetrozygosity of the founder stock) could only have been learnt from wild birds over incredibly long periods and with, probably, more risk to wild birds than we would be prepared to inflict on them.

Cheers

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
Department of Environment & Conservation
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information.

If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the NSW Department of Environment and Conservation.