birding-aus

Re: Unusual Galah

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Re: Unusual Galah
From: "Claire Stevenson" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:55:32 +0800
I have encountered one something like that about 5 years ago, at Batemans Bay (SE NSW). As well as reduced melanin, although I don't recall that it was white on top, the pink was different too. The normally pink parts were a quite pretty apricot colour. I really can't explain that.

That definately sounds like a Galah x Major Mitchell! I've seen examples both in the wild and in aviculture. Sometimes being flogged off as 'apricot' cockatoo or galahs to some unsuspecting buyer. Unfortunately some people find these crossed birds more attractive than their natural plumage colourations and hold no quams about breeding, selling or buying them for the pet trade. These crosses have paler grey wings, sometimes blotchy patches of white, and the plumage can be a light pink, to patchy orange and pink, to a deep orange colour. Birds may physiologically resemble a galah or Major Mitchell, but I have found that those that resemble a Major Mitchell have more peach or apricot in plumage colouration than pink, and greyer wings. I'm not sure if the birds I saw in the wild were wild crosses or just aviary escapes.

Sorry - I couldn't find an image online that could describe what I'm trying to say.

Claire