birding-aus

Collecting birds

To: "Tony Russell" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Collecting birds
From: "Judy Philip" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:21:52 +0930
Thank you Tony for putting this very sad matter into the wider arena.

I could not agree with you more.

I was shocked, and saddened, by the article in the SA Ornithologist.  Not just the fact of the event, but that it would be published in such a reputable journal without comment.  I have not raised it myself at an SAOA meeting because I thought that this would not come well from an L- (at best P-) plate birder.

I do have a question.  Does the SA Museum have a Bio-ethics Committee - as Universities do - to approve (or otherwise) all research on live animals (including the putting of animals to death).  If not, why not.  And, if it does, did SAM's Bio-ethics Committee approve the killing and for what reasons.

One concern about public discussion on this event is that it may mean that we will not even hear about such events in future.

I hasten to add that I am a scientist by training, and spent my whole professional life in universities - I am no bleeding heart but this was over the top.

Judy Philip
Adelaide