birding-aus

Collecting birds

To: "Tony Russell" <>
Subject: Collecting birds
From: "Andrew Stafford" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:49:35 +1000
Tony Russell wrote:

> Well Frank, it saddens me if , as you indicate, you think it's Ok to shoot
birds just for collection purposes.

Tony, I don't think Frank was justifying the collection of anything for its
own sake. He did specifically point out that permits for taking specimens
should be assessed on a case-by-case basis. I'm sure Frank can speak for
himself, but I think you're misrepresenting him here.

>> I will never concede that it is acceptable to kill birds except to
alleviate suffering.

I would like to agree with you, but "never" is a very strong word...

>> The sooner this legalised barbaric practice stops the better. Let the
museums get their grisly collections from natural deaths.

What is a "natural" death? Would a road-kill qualify as a museum piece under
your definition? The collection of wildlife makes me queasy, too, but I
can't support a blanket argument either for or against, especially not one
expressed in such emotive terms (although of course I understand why this is
an emotive topic for many).

And if you go down to the SA museum, I'm quite sure they'll grant you access
to virtually any specimen you wish to look at. I've done the same thing at
the Queensland Museum and was amazed to see Tahiti Petrels up so close
(oops, sorry!)

Cheers, AS