birding-aus

Re: publicity/appeal to young birders (longish)

To: <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: publicity/appeal to young birders (longish)
From: "Maralyn Watts" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 03:00:47 +1100
Hi Michael and all,
Just to let you know the Channel 10 show 'Totally Wild' is also screened
weekdays in Sydney at 4pm. It is a great show and is specifically geared to
the young folk we are seeking - mind you the substance of the program is
ageless, I thoroughly enjoy it and I am in my 50's.
Interesting debate - especially the information David Geering provided after
the segment he was approached to do for Don Burkes' show. The 110  responses
waiting for him on his return to work following the airing of the program
along with weeks of calls from viewers was extrememly interesting and
informative.
Despite the fact the enquiries to David weren't specifically related to the
original subject they gave a very clear indication that many many Aussies
are either already attracting native birds to their backyards or are wanting
to do so.
Surely that is one foundation stone to the educating and generating an
interest in the children of the families enjoying  this pleasure. Curiosity
alone will instill a desire to find out what unusual or beautiful bird is
feeding there.
For what it is worth a believe whilst so many folk are interested in
attracting native birds to their backyards  means the interest  from the
young will be nutured.
Regards to all,
Maralyn Watts