birding-aus

publicity

Subject: publicity
From: Dorothy Window <>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:39:47 +1000
I disagree with the notion that a 'well-known' personality is what is
required for the job.  I know some people who can't stand the sight of
Don Burke!  There's nothing quite like a fresh new face to spark
interest in any subject.
I'll give you an example.  I've been enjoying the series on SBS titled
Aria & Pasta, presented by Beverley Bergen.  I worked with Beverley when
I was a singer with the Australian Opera, and I recall she sang an
enchanting Violetta.
Beverley conceived the idea to do a TV series in which she interviews
prominent international opera singers in their home surroundings, and
helps them to whisk up their favourite dish.  Music in the series
derives from recordngs these singers have made.  Delightful idea.  The
series even has the likes of Bruce Beresford on the production side!!
My mother's favourite saying was 'Imitation is the sincerest form of
flattery'.  So the same sort of arrangement could be done for our
birds.  Two presenters could travel Australia, interviewing prominent
(and not so prominent) birding personalities and visiting top birding
spots - all done in an informal, relaxed style.  Bird sound recordings
and Australian musical compositions which revolve around the natural
world (in Australia) could provide the background. Big opportunities for
optical manufacturers etc - they can provide the commercials.   A
companion CD to the series could be marketed by BA.  Everyone seems to
do a video/CD package today.  Why not one for the birds?
I articulate well, enjoy meeting people, love to travel my country and
have been a fan of the natural world  (particularly our feathered
friends) all my life.  I think birds are the best singers of all.
I could be interested in co-presenting the show with Denise Goodfellow,
if she is agreeable.  'Ozzie Birding with Dot and Denise'  or  'Dot &
Denise go Birding Oz'.  Just an idea.
Dot in FNQ