birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RFI: bird name identification

To: <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus RFI: bird name identification
From: "Helen Horton" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 20:45:26 +1000
birding-aus

Alexandra

In the Checklist of the Birds of Australia Part 1 Non-Passerines by H.T.
Condon, RAOU 1975, Synoicus occurs as a prior name for Coturnix (3 species)
dating back to Gould.  Coturnix australis queenslandicus, Mathews 1912, is
listed under Coturnix australis (Latham) as being in the Cape York
Peninsula, and described as  'smaller than the nominate subspecies'.  So I
should think your Synoicus australis queenslandicus is the Brown Quail.

In the Official Checklist of Australian Birds (this was the original RAOU
checklist, sorry, don't know the publication date, our copy is too decrepit
and missing the title page, but it was older than Condon, but has the
advantage of listing passerines), Lalage tricolor is listed as the
'White-winged Triller (Caterpillar eater)', that later
became Lalage sueurii.

Hope that helps

Helen Horton