birding-aus

birding-aus Reed-warblers and Brown-backed H'eaters

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Reed-warblers and Brown-backed H'eaters
From: "Michael Todd" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 12:00:03 +1100
Hello all,

This morning I watched a Clamorous Reed-warbler foraging in the crowns of Pandanus trees picking insects off the leaves. At first I was completely flabbergasted and I thought that it couldn't be a reed-warbler but sure enough thats what it was. It was at it for at least 15 minutes. Has anyone else seen reed-warblers behaving like this? Incidentally a few days ago I caught a couple of reed-warblers in one of my mist nets which were the first reed-warblers I've seen since I've been here at Pormpuraaw, from early December last year. When I first saw them in the net from a distance I thought that they were reed-warblers but as I hadn't seen any at that stage all sorts of possibilities for exotic and strange birds that they might have been. They turned out to be Clamorous Reed-warblers. I have a question regarding the Oriental Reed-warbler. Is it being seen very regularly anywhere in Australia? Is it simply a vagrant or is it a regular migrant to Australia.

The other highlight today was a Brown-backed Honeyeater which I hadn't expected to see on the western side of Cape York. According to the last Atlas they were recorded a short distance down the west coast but not as far down as Pormpuraaw. Has anyone seen Brown-backed Honeyeater on the west coast of Cape York?

Regards,

Mick

Michael Todd
Finch Researcher,