birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RFI: bird name identification

To: <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus RFI: bird name identification
From: "Peter S Lansley" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:50:29 +1100
birding-aus

Alexandra Appleman wrote:

Can anyone confirm that Lalage tricolor is a former name for the Lalage
> suerii (White-winged Triller)?  As this record is dated 1966 and from
> Clermont I thought it might be too far inland for the Varied
Triller??????

David James replied:

tricolor is an lod name for suerii (see Scodde 1975, interim list of
australian songbirds.
               ------------------------------------

While tricolor is the old name for White-winged Triller, it is also the new
name (not sure whether Christidis & Boles used it but in other recent works
it has been split):

Lalage sueurii White-shouldered Triller of eastern Indonesia;
L. tricolor White-winged Triller, of Australia.

Prior to the 1980s the two were regarded as the same species, and since the
Indonesian bird was described first, our bird took the name L. sueurii
tricolor.

source Coates, B.J., & Bishop, K.D. 1997. A Guide to the Birds of Wallacea.
Dove Publications, Brisbane.

Cheers

Peter S Lansley <>
tel. +61 3 9375 4564
"If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve"
 - Jello Biafra

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)