birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Trip

To: unknown <>
Subject: birding-aus Re: Trip
From: Chris Padley <>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 04:23:11 -0500
birding-aus

Hi All,
         The 4 Pom. birders have finally arrived in Melbourne at 2.30 this
(wednesday ) morning somewhat tired. After some sleep we returned to the
airport to pick up the hire car in the pouring rain - like being at home!
We set off for Toolangi National Forest (thanks for the info Susan) and had
a great day. On the way we stopped at any likely spots and picked up some
nice wetland species such as Royal & Yellow-billed Spoonbill, White-faced
Heron, Aus. Ibis, Maned & Pacific Black Duck, Australian Shelduck (lifer
for me), Little Pied & Little Black Cormorants,Eastern? Swamphens, Black
Swans & Masked Lapwings as well as Galahs, Sulphur-crested Cockatoos,
Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike, Eastern and Crimson Rosellas (a juv. Crimson
caused us a few problems with its similarities to Swift Parrot - especially
when it flew off because of a passing car). We had a pair of Superb Fairy
Wrens which were stunning and put on a good show. This was all on the way
to Toolangi .On arrival there we did the Rainforest Walk - a marvellous
boardwalk through an area of forest with abundant tree ferns. Almost
immediately a Superb Lyrebird made itself Known - but not seen as it went
through its repertoire of calls well hidden away!  We also picked up
White-browed Scrub Robin, Grey & Rufous Fantails, An what we decided must
be Brown Thornbill. On completing the loop we had a search along the road
leading to the Quarry and saw a pair of Rose Robins - the male of which
played hard to get in the tops of the trees but eventually gave himself up,
a Pied Currawong, a Tree Creeper which disappeared before it could be
identified,and a grey Shrike Thrush & Lewins Honeyeater.
        We then walked along the Myrtle Gulley Track and had a great 15
minutes - seeing a male Pink Robin, a pair of Flame Robins & a juv.
Fantailed Cuckoo - all lifers.
        All of this together with White Plumed Honeyeater, Pied Magpie
Larks, Australian Magpies, Little Wattlebird around the Motel and what we
thought were Little Ravens all over the place meant that we had a superb
first day in Aus.
        Any comments on glaring errors of mis-identification would be
appreciated. We had a distant Falcon - presumably Brown but couldn't be
certain.Forty -six species for the day.

        Now the problem of getting this out - my modem card is not an ISDN
card but my server phone number for Melbourne is an isdn number - can
anyone tell me if I can safely use it ? I don't want to damage the card. Am
going to try to send this via an Adelaide - non ISDN number.

                                                Cheers,
                                                Chris Padley.

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)