MKH 416 vs. ME67

Subject: MKH 416 vs. ME67
From: "Russ Wigh"
Date: Tue Feb 7, 2017 7:31 am ((PST))
I am curious if anyone has some thoughts on the 'reach' of
the Sennheiser MKH416/MKH60 vs. the ME67.  I realize the
long shotgun rejects off axis sound better, but that is part
of the problem. If I could achieve comparable results over a
given distance, even with a slight boost in gain, wouldn't
it be possible to record a bird song equally as well with
the higher end mics, and without the weaker off-axis song?
Put another way, the ME67 has to be spot on, given the
inherent directional characteristics of the mic, but often I
don't see the subject. With the 416/60, and their better
sensitivity, could I conceivably get the higher quality
recording even if I am off a few degrees? I am sure the
MKH8000 series is the way to go, but those mics are double
the cost of what I would have to pay for the MKH 416.  There
are usually some pretty attractive prices for the MKH416 and
MKH60  on eBay from good sellers.

A little more information: I use a SD722, and try to
maintain gain at 55-60dB with ME64, 66 and 67 microphones.
I also have an Olympus LS10, and I gather the 416 could not
be used on that recorder without an interface to provide 48v
power.  My only intended use for shotgun mics is outdoors,
and in my semi-tropical coastal Georgia climate, humidity is
not a small issue.

I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

Russ Wigh