Re: MM-BSM-9

Subject: Re: MM-BSM-9
From: "J. Charles Holt"
Date: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:52 pm ((PDT))
Keith,

I've got a friend who's an educator and could get the full version (not Adv=
anced) for around $170. It's not cheap, but there's not a lot of great mics=
 out there for under $200 (except maybe Nick's!). I've already got Logic Pr=
o X and have done some good basic editing with it=97cutting out things like=
 plane noise and using cross fades, adjusting EQ to reduce wind, etc. Nothi=
ng fancy, but it seems like a good idea to know how to use the tools, even =
though the goal is to not have to. I agree that getting reliant on a piece =
of expensive software isn't a great idea, particularly for a hobby.

It's a noisy world we live in, and it's not getting any quieter. Even if I =
hike for miles to get to a quiet area there's still planes and, being Color=
ado, sometimes distant gunfire depending on where I go. Ideally I'd be in a=
 pristine environment with no cars or planes or people, but if I had those =
criteria for all my recordings I think I'd give up in frustration pretty qu=
ickly. Unfortunately I have some medical issues that make driving long dist=
ances difficult.

I greatly appreciate everyone's help, feedback, and enthusiasm. I've been i=
nvolved in many online groups over the years, and this one is consistently =
one of the nicest I've come across. Everyone had something to offer and no =
matter what someone's skill level or knowledge, I've not seen anyone belitt=
led.

I'm going out for a dawn recording tomorrow with a bit of a local legend wh=
o I met through a mutual friend. Maybe I'll have something good to post soo=
n that hasn't been edited too much. ;)

- Charles

(Pardon my terseness or typos, this was sent from my iPhone.)

dists] <> wrote:

> "I think if I spend any more money at this point it'll be on a copy of Iz=
otope RX4. "

> Charles, if you want to play with noise reduction (heresy on this list!),=
  you might best start by looking through the archives of this group. A few=
 years ago, there was a post with a link to a legal and free copy of Adobe =
Audition 3.0. Hopefully, it still might work or another link may exist if y=
ou search for it. You might also look at Audacity (I haven't tried it.)

> The noise reduction tools in AA3 are very powerful and for the noise we'r=
e talking about, can be made to rival what you can do in RX or in SpectraLa=
yers from Sony, although I confess I'm not fond of the workflow. The nicest=
 part of RX (IMO), is the Deconstruct module and you'll have to buy the Adv=
anced version to get it ($$$). Also, you get caught up in a rather expensiv=
e and sometimes senseless 'upgrade' scheme.

> Having been down this road (I did have other justifications for buying RX=
 & SL), I'd strongly suggest you spend the cash on better mics and experime=
nts with stereo arrays first. For the price of RX Advanced, you could get t=
he EM172's, play with arrays, pay for the fuel to get to a quiet-ish place =
and learn some really useful stuff.  --Better to make good recordings than =
spend all your time fixing bad ones.

> The demo videos for these products show them easily doing wonderful thing=
s on a 15 second clip. Try doing 30 - 90 minute files assuming you want to =
check every second for leftover artifacts --at every stage. You'll get over=
 your infatuation pretty quickly.

>> Preview by Yahoo
>>
>> Posted by:
>> Start a Ne=
w Topic =95     Messages in this topic (4)