Re: MM-BSM-9

Subject: Re: MM-BSM-9
From: "Keith Smith" smith9e499
Date: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:09 am ((PDT))
"I think if I spend any more money at this point it'll be on a copy of
Izotope RX4. "

Charles, if you want to play with noise reduction (heresy on this list!),
you might best start by looking through the archives of this group. A few
years ago, there was a post with a link to a legal and free copy of Adobe
Audition 3.0. Hopefully, it still might work or another link may exist if
you search for it. You might also look at Audacity (I haven't tried it.)

The noise reduction tools in AA3 are very powerful and for the noise we're
talking about, can be made to rival what you can do in RX or in
SpectraLayers from Sony, although I confess I'm not fond of the workflow.
The nicest part of RX (IMO), is the Deconstruct module and you'll have to
buy the Advanced version to get it ($$$). Also, you get caught up in a
rather expensive and sometimes senseless 'upgrade' scheme.

Having been down this road (I did have other justifications for buying RX &
SL), I'd strongly suggest you spend the cash on better mics and experiments
with stereo arrays first. For the price of RX Advanced, you could get the
EM172's, play with arrays, pay for the fuel to get to a quiet-ish place and
learn some really useful stuff.  --Better to make good recordings than
spend all your time fixing bad ones.

The demo videos for these products show them easily doing wonderful things
on a 15 second clip. Try doing 30 - 90 minute files assuming you want to
check every second for leftover artifacts --at every stage. You'll get over
your infatuation pretty quickly.

<http://micbooster.com/primo-microphone-capsules/65-clippy-em172-microphone=
.html>

>   Preview by Yahoo

ges/54065;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJxNmtmY25hBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMjY4NjAEZ3Jwc3=
BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNjYzBG1zZ0lkAzU0MDY1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTQzNTI0N=
TM2MA--?act=3Dreply&messageNum=3D54065>
> =95  Reply to sender
> <=3DRe%3A%20%5BNature%20Recordists%5D%20MM-B=
SM-9>
> =95  Reply to group
> <=3DRe%3A%20%5BNature%20Recordist=
s%5D%20MM-BSM-9>
> =95 Start a New Topic
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/naturerecordists/conversations/newto=
pic;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJlcDJkZWowBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMjY4NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMx=
NzA1MDgzNjYzBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQzNTI0NTM2MA-->
> =95 Messages in this topic
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/naturerecordists/conversations/topic=
s/54062;_ylc=3DX3oDMTM2bzNscW1jBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMjY4NjAEZ3Jwc3BJ=
ZAMxNzA1MDgzNjYzBG1zZ0lkAzU0MDY1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQzNTI0NTM=
2MAR0cGNJZAM1NDA2Mg-->