Re: MM-BSM-9

Subject: Re: MM-BSM-9
Date: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:17 am ((PDT))
Thanks, John, that's helpful. It's really apparent just how different a "go=
od mic" is for nature recording as opposed to general field recording. Impo=
rtant lesson learned.

I gather EM172 capsules are what the M10 uses internally (according to some=
thing I saw online where someone disassembled one). I've been very happy wi=
th it, although as many have noted the soundstage is quite narrow.

Considering the popularity of the EM172 capsules, I'm surprised no one make=
s a pair of inexpensive mics using them. Or if they have, I'm not seeing th=
em anywhere.

- Charles

> On Jun 24, 2015, at 10:33 AM, 'John Crockett'  [naturereco=
rdists] <> wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> You are not hearing preamp noise, it is all coming from the microphones.
> The PCM-M10 preamps are very quiet for a small recorder and are only
> adding about 0.02 dB of noise to the mics. The BSM-9 have (published) sel=
> noise of 36 dB compared to 17 dB for the PCM-M10 mic capsules. That's
> almost 9 times more noise. Increasing sensitivity would not help, because
> the preamp noise is already inaudible and it can't get more inaudible.
>
> If you want quiet and inexpensive, I'd suggest building a small and simpl=
> boundary array, with EM172 mic capsules, like Vicki Powys' foam block
> SASS. 13 dB self noise, and the signal-to-noise ration is improved severa=
> decibels by the boundary. Very satisfying results.
>
> Lots of fun info on her site
>
> http://www.caperteebirder.com/index.php?p=3D1_17_recording-gear-1
>
> best wishes,
>
> John
>
> > My thought was if it increases the sensitivity
> > or output I'll be relying less on the internal preamp and thus have les=
> > noise, but feel free to tell me why I'm wrong.
> >
> > - Charles
> >

> John Crockett
>
> Let us live in harmony with Earth
> And all creatures,