Re: Settings on Olympus LS-12 with AT2022 to minimize noise

Subject: Re: Settings on Olympus LS-12 with AT2022 to minimize noise
From: animalsounds
Date: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:31 am ((PDT))
> The LS-12 looks pretty good in that list.=0D
>=0D
> I'm starting to suspect that there was once a 'good batch' of them, from =
which the one tested came.=0D
>=0D
> My ears tell me the one I've got ( and probably the one Tom has ) is not =
anywhere near that spec'. I'd  place it way down below the Zoom H2.=0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Hi Norman,=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Yes, the LS-12 noise figure at the maximum gain (MANUAL mode, Rec Level 70=
) is quite good. =0D
 =0D
=0D
 However, in contrast to the LS-5/10/11 (which are still great at lower gai=
n settings), the LS-12/14 noise floor gets worse as soon as you select a lo=
wer gain. At Rec Level 50, the noise floor is -116dBu(A) and at Rec Level 3=
0 it is -102 dBu(A), which is indeed quite poor. =0D
 =0D
=0D
 Note that the Mic Gain setting (Hi, Mid or Lo) has no effect when the MANU=
AL mode is selected. This is also different from the LS-5/11/12.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I just added these number to the list at Avisoft Bioacoustics - Microphone=
 Input Noise Comparison http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm=0D
 =0D
 =0D
 http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm =0D
 =0D
 Avisoft Bioacoustics - Microphone Input Noise C... http://www.avisoft.com/=
recordertests.htm Microphone Input Noise Comparison =0D
 =0D
 =0D
 =0D
 View on www.avisoft.com http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm =0D