Re: Settings on Olympus LS-12 with AT2022 to minimize noise

Subject: Re: Settings on Olympus LS-12 with AT2022 to minimize noise
From: animalsounds
Date: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:06 am ((PDT))
>The actual impedance of a mic can vary from a few ohms to a few Kohms and =
=0D
 >this can swing the overall signal/noise levels quite widely. For optimum =
=0D
 >settings on a particular rig, in a particular location, the only answer =
=0D
 >comes from a experimental set of levels by judging using ears. =0D
 =0D
=0D
 Sure, but considering the large number of options available today, it is n=
early impossible to test all potential combinations of microphones and reco=
rders in an objective way by ear. So, it should help to have some objective=
 measurements at well-defined conditions.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I also believe that the ears alone are not always the best tool for evalua=
ting the equipment. The problem here is that one will need some kind of abs=
olute reference in order to compensate for the different microphone sensiti=
vities and recorder gain settings. A very experienced audio engineer might =
be able to do that quite well, but others may to end up with inaccurate res=
ults. =0D
 =0D
=0D
 I remember folks stating the Tascam HD-P2 had noisy preamps, which was obv=
iously based on judging using ears. This was one of the reasons why I start=
ed the Microphone Input Noise Comparison list 10 years ago...=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Regards,=0D
 Raimund=0D