Better Hearing At 37?

Subject: Better Hearing At 37?
From: "Michael Dalton" mdaltonarielle
Date: Mon May 12, 2014 4:56 am ((PDT))
I'd lake to weigh in on this subject. Have reached close to the reverse num=
bers.
Hearing measured normal for my age. All kinds of noise disturb me greatly, =
especially rattles in automobiles and any sympathetic vibrations.
I have difficulty hearing low-pitched voices, especially my wife, who has t=
he tendency to walk away from me as she speaks, but expects me to hear her.
In my research with speech by parrots, I find that my hearing is much more =
acute for speech sounds by birds. Hardly anyone else hears the sounds prope=
rly, and I have to wonder whether there is any hope for us to communicate w=
ith another species lacking interest in what other creatures say. An ape re=
searcher recently rediscovered distorted "speech" by a chimp; scientists ab=
andoned speech investigations with apes more than 40 years ago.
So, what we consider is increased sensitivity is likely no such thing. I be=
lieve it is all related to experience and familiarity with the sounds being=
 studied. I like to point to my statement, "If you do not believe something=
 is possible, you will never discover the effect." Consequently, there is a=
 great deal of psychological impediments to hearing; we only need to discar=
d the obvious, "we know ..." Just listen.
Regards,

Mike
Florida
www.ParrotSpeech.com

Better Hearing At 37?
Sun May=C2=A011,=C2=A02014 7:43=C2=A0pm        (PDT)        . Posted by:
bobjoebonobobob
Is it possible that my hearing is getting more sensitive? I am 37, and for =
about ten years now I have been aware of the value of a
natural soundscape. But now, when planes go by 30,000 miles or higher
over my head, or cars and trucks on the highway, and trains in other
towns, to far away chainsaws etc. - it seems as thought I am becoming
even more aggravated by these kinds of noise. Am I simply beginning to
react due to my soundscape awareness - and due to my existing living
conditions/environment, subconsciously (or, consciously, rather)
pushing me to find a more peaceful place - or is it possible that my
hearing is actually becoming more sensitive? I find that I can hear
MILES AND MILES away now. When people ask me where I live, now I say 'I
live on a conveyer-belt, in a giant factory called North America.'

Help!