Re: Better Hearing At 37?

Subject: Re: Better Hearing At 37?
From: madl74
Date: Sun May 11, 2014 8:24 pm ((PDT))
 [naturerecordists] writes:

> Is it possible that my hearing is getting more sensitive? I am 37, and fo=
r about ten years now I have been aware of the value of a natural soundscap=
e.

Bob,

Your ears are just getting trained. When I was a professional Film
Recordist, I had trainees from time to time and I would ask them what they=

could hear and point out what they had missed out. Commonly Production woul=
say "what noise" when I pointed out a running fridge in the next room when=

setting up an interview. Sometimes we forgot to remind the folk to switch i=
back on. :-( They hadn't noticed it humming (or not humming) either.

The other question I would ask trainees is what happened two minutes ago.
Being fully aware of your sound background takes a bit of learning but is
invaluable for recording. As I type, I can hear my laptop fan, drive C is
not seeking but an external hard drive is running, a cat purring gently,
slight HF tinnitus as I have been using a bandsaw today (with ear
defenders), and a slight mains hum which I think is a battery charger. A
clock is ticking somewhere. Apart from that, it is quiet apart from my own=

breathing and a keyboard clicking, and swallowing, as one does. The cat has=

just yawned and stopped purring but it is still breathing. Otherwise, it is=

a very quiet bedroom.

David Brinicombe