Re: Mic capsules question: rapid 35-0190 vs Panasonic WM-61A

Subject: Re: Mic capsules question: rapid 35-0190 vs Panasonic WM-61A
From: "stoatwizard" stoatwizard
Date: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:34 am ((PDT))

The WM61A sounds a little better and has a higher output ISTR. The Rapid de=
vices want more current than some plug-in-power devices can deliver. Accord=
ing to the spec they want at least 1.5V across them - many PiP source 3V vi=
a about 6k8, with the rapid capsules sinking 0.4mA you're gonna be out of l=
uck with some recorders (6800 * 0.4/1000 =3D 2.72V so something will have t=
o give). Fortuately easy to sort using a battery box and a 8.4V/9V battery.=
 If you starve the mic for current  it gets low output and noisy.

The rapid is a lot easier to solder to because it's bigger than the WM61A, =
but I can't say either has ever given me grief, I use standard tin/lead sol=
der (because I don't need to do RoHS if I am making this for myself) and I'=
ve never bent one yet ;)

Play with the Rapid capules to give you some confidence, though measure the=
 votlage across the capsule in operation and if it's less than the 1.5V spe=
c then use a battery box, you will get better results with loud sounds thta=
 way anyway. That's more for your concert tapers, but wind blast is still a=
 loud sound that naturerecordists run into...

You can hear the rapid devices here

http://www.wildlife-sound.org/equipment/technote/micdesigns/rapid.html

and WM61 here

http://www.wildlife-sound.org/equipment/technote/micdesigns/index.html