Re: More on scrolling spectrograms

Subject: Re: More on scrolling spectrograms
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:28 am ((PST))
I had a look at just one - the first one on the grebes page. The problem isn't
so obvious when the horizontal scale is stretched out like that, and probably
doesn't matter as much, but I think it's still there. The cursor speed doesn't
seem even, but it moves across so quickly that it's hard to tell.

If I pause it, and drag the slider across at a slow but even speed, I see the
cursor jumping by uneven amounts, and even pausing here and there. It's just a
minor cosmetic issue when the scale is stretched enough that the cursor is
always on the feature one's hearing anyway, but  I find it mildly distracting.

In my example recordings, where I'm only trying to point out which call I'm
referring to, I used a more compressed scale, and found that the cursor often
wasn't even on the feature that was playing at the time so I had to fix it.

I didn't test Raven much for producing my spectrograms because only the Pro
version would handle the long recordings I intended to process, and that costs
money. I think it has better control of the scales than some other programs
though, so it might be possible to set a scale that matches the capturing frame
rate for even cursor movement if desired.