Re: More on scrolling spectrograms

Subject: Re: More on scrolling spectrograms
From: "chrishails50" chrishails50
Date: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:54 pm ((PST))
Thanks for your interest Peter and your kind comments Vicki, and your diagn=
osis David (which was lost on me I'm afraid - I need that idiots guide you =
are writing!).

I use the spectrograms as a learning tool - if folks can see a sound as wel=
l as hear it then the message gets to the brain via two routes, and that ce=
rtainly helps a brain like mine ! I expand them Peter so that the individua=
l elements of a song phrase can be clearly seen, but that brings the disadv=
antage of only showing a few seconds (to keep file size small for downloadi=
ng efficiency for those with slow speed connections) and you then need to u=
se the pause button to study it well.

I clean them up certainly.

Firstly I choose the sequence carefully from my archives, and the best ones=
 are where I have done the fieldwork well - got myself in the right place a=
t the right time with the right subject - no amount of digital jiggery-poke=
ry can make up for failures with that step. They are focal species recorded=
 with a parabola (Telinga) for the most part. I make soundscapes but  they =
are rarely any use for my type of spectrograms. Positioning to omit unwante=
d sounds in the field is key.

Having got a good sound in the machine then I use Auditon to clean it up, i=
n the middle of Europe long distance anthropogenic rumble is ever present -=
 cars, planes, machinery etc. (My holy grail is the peace of your farm in t=
he outback Vicki !) Then I make the spectrogram using Raven which has some =
nice little sliders that allow you to play with brilliance, contrast and gr=
anularity of the sonogram, juggling those three maximises clarity of the im=
age. Then I make the screen capture video.

A lot of time goes into each one if you start counting from the moment the =
alarm clock goes off and I put the kettle on !

Slowing down a high speed sound helps the learning but is a tricky thing th=
at can introduce weird distortions and artifacts. I have not got it complet=
ely right. And there is some interplay between Raven and Camtasia that is b=
eyond my digital skills to understand.

But it will soon have to change. The files I post are .swf files, a format =
which is not mobile compatible, and Apple won't play Adobe Flash so they wi=
ll not work on an iPad. As mobile devices take over, and .swf falls further=
 from grace, and html5 becomes the standard then my stuff has to evolve. Bu=
t these are all terms I read on the internet and parrot back only vaguely k=
nowing what I say, I am really a field person !

Hope this helps you in your search.

Best

--- In  Peter Shute  wrote:

> I agree, it's a little out of synch. The full speed version might be too,=
 but it moves so fast it's hard to be sure.

> Chris, how do you get your spectrograms so clean? Is that the results of =
them being cleaned up somehow, or is it because the recordings are clean? M=
ine are from a SASS style array, so there's lots of background noise making=
 the spectrograms speckly.

> Peter Shute

 On Behalf Of vickipowys