Re: Introduction and Recording Equipment

Subject: Re: Introduction and Recording Equipment
From: "NordicNature" nordicsounds
Date: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:29 pm ((PST))
Hi!
I think that the Telinga would do what you want. If you use the stereo-dat =
mic, you can reach birds from a distance and you can also remove the dish a=
nd record ambient stereo with it.
If you choose the PIP version you can choose a smaller recorder like Sony M=
Message: 10.
Subject: If you choose the phantom powered version the recorder gets bigger.
You didn't say if you wanted to record ambient and distant birds at the sam=
e time. If you want to do that you will need more than two channels obvious=
ly.
I use the Telinga universal. That's the version without a mic. I wanted to =
experiment some... :)
I'm using a Audio Technica BP-4025 stereo mic in and outside the telinga a =
lot. I think the Telinga stereo-dat mic is a little less noisier.
You can listen to recordings on my soundcloud.com/nordicnature page (I have=
n't uploaded anything public for a long time but I'm still recording) to he=
ar how BP-4025 sounds like in a Telinga universal parabolic dish. Most of t=
he sounds there is recorded with that combo. I'm using a Tascam DR-680 reco=
rder.

/H=C3=A5kan

--- In  "nikifaller"  wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I'm new to this field and have been reading your threads and sifting thro=
ugh information online about field recording and equipment. I am planning a=
 trip to Puerto Rico in February that will include three days of solo recor=
ding in El Yunque - I'm anxious to make my purchases so I have a little tim=
e to practice.

> A bit of background. Eleven months ago my husband and I got married in Pe=
ru and spent our honeymoon at a National Reserve where I remembered how muc=
h I love the tropics. This year we've adopted several parrots who live with=
 us now in our tiny North Dakota town. I work from home, and they share my =
workspace with me. When I can find suitable vocalizations of parrots online=
 they love it - but it's hard to find good recordings of any duration. Part=
 of my intention for my recordings is to create a collection of parrot soun=
ds in their native habitats - another is to record ambient sound in the wil=
d - and a third is to maybe, one day, make music with portions of it. When =
I was in college I picked up a CD by Manuel Obregon at Monteverde cloud for=
est in Costa Rica. It was a "conversation" between his piano and the forest=
. I'm not a piano player but that particular recording has haunted me, in a=
 good way, for a long time and been part of what led me to try this now. I'=
ve been an avid photographer for a long time, and can't wait to get out the=
re and see what develops with sound.

> It's important to me to be able to record specific sounds, probably at qu=
ite a distance, as well as wider soundscapes. I'd also like my gear to be a=
s compact as possible. Brands I've looked at include Roland, Fostex and Tas=
cam. Does anyone have any specific advice or comparisons between brands?

> Also wondering, I'll have a laptop on the trip, but don't want to haul it=
 around during the day. Should I be prepared with additional memory? Are th=
ere small devices you can keep in the field to transfer or back up files?