Introduction and Recording Equipment

Subject: Introduction and Recording Equipment
From: "nikifaller" nikifaller
Date: Tue Jan 8, 2013 6:13 pm ((PST))
Greetings all,

I'm new to this field and have been reading your threads and sifting through
information online about field recording and equipment. I am planning a trip to
Puerto Rico in February that will include three days of solo recording in El
Yunque - I'm anxious to make my purchases so I have a little time to practice.

A bit of background. Eleven months ago my husband and I got married in Peru and
spent our honeymoon at a National Reserve where I remembered how much I love
the tropics. This year we've adopted several parrots who live with us now in
our tiny North Dakota town. I work from home, and they share my workspace with
me. When I can find suitable vocalizations of parrots online they love it - but
it's hard to find good recordings of any duration. Part of my intention for my
recordings is to create a collection of parrot sounds in their native habitats
- another is to record ambient sound in the wild - and a third is to maybe, one
day, make music with portions of it. When I was in college I picked up a CD by
Manuel Obregon at Monteverde cloud forest in Costa Rica. It was a
"conversation" between his piano and the forest. I'm not a piano player but
that particular recording has haunted me, in a good way, for a long time and
been part of what led me to try this now. I've been an avid photographer for a
long time, and can't wait to get out there and see what develops with sound.

It's important to me to be able to record specific sounds, probably at quite a
distance, as well as wider soundscapes. I'd also like my gear to be as compact
as possible. Brands I've looked at include Roland, Fostex and Tascam. Does
anyone have any specific advice or comparisons between brands?

Also wondering, I'll have a laptop on the trip, but don't want to haul it
around during the day. Should I be prepared with additional memory? Are there
small devices you can keep in the field to transfer or back up files?

All the best,
Niki

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional