Re: More on scrolling spectrograms

Subject: Re: More on scrolling spectrograms
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:33 am ((PST))
chrishails50  said:
>I use the spectrograms as a learning tool - if folks can see a sound as we=
ll as hear it then the message gets to the brain via two routes, and that c=
ertainly helps a brain like mine ! I expand them Peter so that the individu=
al elements of a song phrase can be clearly seen, but that brings the disad=
vantage of only showing a few seconds (to keep file size small for download=
ing efficiency for those with slow speed connections) and you then need to =
use the pause button to study it well.

I'd say that the "expanded" scale you use is probably more usual than the m=
ore compressed one that I've been using. It seems more common to use spectr=
ograms to examine the structure of calls, rather than for merely pointing t=
hem out as I do. Certainly it seems like every program I've tried is orient=
ed towards using them as you do.

Either way, I find them very educational.

>A lot of time goes into each one if you start counting from the moment the=
 alarm clock goes off and I put the kettle on !

You're telling me. I'd say I've put 100 hours into learning how to make the=
se movies the way I want them. It's eaten up 3 or 4 months of early morning=
 computer time. Hopefully I'll soon be at the stage where I've got it autom=
ated and just need to specify the wav file, and it spits out a movie file a=
t the end.

>Slowing down a high speed sound helps the learning but is a tricky thing t=
hat can introduce weird distortions and artifacts. I have not got it comple=
tely right. And there is some interplay between Raven and Camtasia that is =
beyond my digital skills to understand.

I tried a notch filter at 4400 Hz, and it seemed to make the ringing go awa=
y. I don't know if it affected it any other way, but if a slowed down call =
sounds a little weird, who's going to know?

I think there was another peak in the spectrum at about 18kHz, so some peop=
le might be able to hear that. I certainly can't.

>But it will soon have to change. The files I post are .swf files, a format=
 which is not mobile compatible, and Apple won't play Adobe Flash so they w=
ill not work on an iPad. As mobile devices take over, and .swf falls furthe=
r from grace, and html5 becomes the standard then my stuff has to evolve. B=
ut these are all terms I read on the internet and parrot back only vaguely =
knowing what I say, I am really a field person !

I assume Camtasia can output in other formats? It shouldn't be too hard to =
change to something else, and I think the main challenge will be making sur=
e other people's computers can decode them. That's why I decided to get min=
e onto Youtube. Then Youtube can take care of making sure they're compatibl=
e.

Peter Shute

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional