Re: DIY suspenssion and wind protection for mkh 30/30

Subject: Re: DIY suspenssion and wind protection for mkh 30/30
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:07 am ((PDT))
> Just for interest, this is a recording I made with the microphone on
> the roof of the car to test the wind shield:
> http://soundcloud.com/petershute/wind-shield-test-on-car

Peter,

The problem with mounting the rig on the roof of the car is that this
was in the main slipstream. The roofrack bars would be creating a lot
of noise as well. However the windshield did stop the mics overloading
up to about 30MPH, but perhaps would not when pointing at other
angles, including behind. Something is flapping about as you change
gear.

I assumed you used a bass roll-off, so I put some bass back in. You
can hear the exhaust note until you changed gear at around 25, but by
then the higher frequency wind noise dominated. It would have been
better held out of a window.

Overall it was a hard test. The windshield may be useable in a smooth
wind up to 20MPH, so it did quite well. Environmental noise with a
wind at 20MPH would be quite high in most habitats, and that could be
a useful comparison check. What you would listen for is the hiss of
the wind around the sharp top and bottom corners of the windshield.
Perhaps these edges could be rounded off with some foam as they are
not too close to the mics to make a difference to the wanted sounds.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: