Re: DIY suspenssion and wind protection for mkh 30/30

Subject: Re: DIY suspenssion and wind protection for mkh 30/30
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:13 am ((PDT))
> I tried the moving car method myself, but the road and engine noise
> was so high that I wasn't sure how well the shield was working.

Peter,

It's best if you hang it out of a roof opening and get someone else
(preferably) to coast at 10 to 30 MPH.  I once tracked a South African
Railways Class 25 condensing loco with an MKH 816 on a bush road at 90
MPH and got the full loco noises including the steam condenser fans
and a burst of the whistle from the driver.

> I later read about a method of generating wind for testing mic wind
> shields by mounting the mic on the end of a rotating arm.

I worked out of the BBC Ealing Studios and used a stage boom to test
early Rycote windgags. but it was easier with just a long hand boom.
It was a luxury to have a sound treated space to do this. Wind noise
varied with the angle of the airflow to the blimp. I invented the
"Brinisock" cover which Rycote took over in a non-waterproof version.

> By my calculations, a 1m long arm rotating at 1 rev per second
> should simulate a wind of about 6m/second.

Yes, if you don't fall over dizzy. :-)

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce