Re: Cage 100

Subject: Re: Cage 100
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Fri Sep 7, 2012 6:47 am ((PDT))
If Cage left us with any worthwhile ideas (certainly in parallel with
and no less than Murray Schafer), it was the admonition to think
critically about sound, its origins, its reproduction, and ultimate
human transformation. For those of us not afraid to consider the
ramifications of these ideas -- wherever they may lead -- the dialog
between ourselves and those within the fold of the natural world will
continue unabated -- hence the subject of my recent book, The Great
Animal Orchestra, that clearly addresses the efforts of many important
contributors to the field...Cage but one of 'em.

I'm afraid that toward the end of his life, though, even Cage was
beginning to believe in the scope of his larger myth created mostly by
acolytes that had sprung up around him. Folks were ascribing quotes
that he had never spoken or written and he would buy into them as if
he originated the thought. Oh well...

Bernie

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536