Re: That "Wavy Thing" (was: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array)

Subject: Re: That "Wavy Thing" (was: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array)
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:03 pm ((PDT))
<<Delays in mixers came after my time in pro sound, but I'm told that
the BBC Proms mixes use delays. Perhaps that's why I find them a bit
clinical. You can hear every instrument including the harps :-) but
you can't hear the Albert Hall.>>

I just mixed a Proms at Albert Hall a few weeks back, but I was doing the PA
mix, not the on-air mix. There is a vast tangle of mics in the air. Looks like
they have their choice of 3 different Decca Tree hangs plus several more ORTF &
spaced omni pairs, plus enough individual section mics to give practically
every player in the orchestra their own spot mic. Unfortunately I didn't hear
the broadcast, being well occupied mixing FOH, but the BBC chap pointed to one
of the nearer Decca arrays & said he used that along with the close mics Kronos
use for the PA, & of course my playback & effects channels. Would have loved to
have heard how it turned out, it being quite the iconic venue.

Scott Fraser

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: