Re: That "Wavy Thing" (was: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array)

Subject: Re: That "Wavy Thing" (was: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array)
From: "keithahsmith" keithahsmith
Date: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:38 pm ((PDT))
Curt,
I hope yet another adjective added to the lexicon is more help than
harm.

This is an extract from Crown's memo22yr.pdf (bottom of page 25) ,
extolling the virtues of PZM's, which has recently but not too
mysteriously disappeared from their site. The (Bold) is mine. The full
entry is rather interesting, although not much help, technically. I
assume most folks interested in this sort of thing might have read it
before.

"Tim Guhl, Cultural Resources Council, Syracuse, NY, says:
...Syracuse Symphony Orchestra and the Opera Theatre of Syracuse...
Formerly, we used a Neumann SM 69 FET in a `midside" setup. With
this we employed a woodwind sweetener mike, this to cover the swimmy
image right at the center of the mid-side configuration. We were quite
pleased with the mike setup and had spent some three years developing
the technique. We even recorded a disc for New World Records and
another for Peters International with this system. Then we ordered the
PZMs. The rest is history..."

This is my first post here after lurking constantly for several weeks.
I'll take the opportunity to thank all contributors for a most
interesting and educational list. Doing a little research on the most
frquent  posters has also led me to some fascinating blogs -seems it's
time to get some woodworking tools.

Keith Smith
Calgary

--- In  Curt Olson <> wrote:

> No. I hear the slight phasing error at 180 degrees, but that's not
that I'm talking about.  I could point you to some examples out there,
but that would be grossly impolite and I won't do it. I will say,
however, that MS and ORTF arrays are both quite prone to it -- not
always, but often enough that I've observed a pretty clear pattern.

> Probably the best thing I can do at this point is to try generating
the effect myself with an ORTF array and post it along with a
simultaneous recording from a boundary rig. Please stand by... we've had
one of our grandchildren here for the last few days and I'm behind of
several other commitments. But it is now on my "to do ASAP" list.

> Curt
>
> Klas wrote:
>
> > Curt, at http://klas.telinga.com/demo/walkinginacircle.mp3.
> >
> > you will hear a little of what I call phasing at 180 degrees.
> > Is that what you mean by wavy?
> >
> > Klas

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional