Re: New Soundscapes

Subject: Re: New Soundscapes
From: "Mark A Brennan"
Date: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:12 am ((PST))
...boat motors are a  Part of the soundscape now, especially here in nova s=
cotia where an honest living is still made, one that's not a factory trawle=
r but a father and son or daughter out working on the sea.

Mark Brennan

On 2012-01-09, at 9:48 PM, Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> Mark Brennan, you wrote,
>
>> I forgot to mention, I should also add that the album does indeed have s=
ome
>> motors in it! For two reasons, firstly because I wanted to paint an audi=
>> picture of what things sound like today, that human noise is very appare=
nt
>> in the natural soundscape both in a good way but also as noise pollution=
.
>> So this is to raise awareness a little but also because I find some of t=
he
>> sounds interesting and I think they add to the composition if you look a=
>> it as a whole and purely sound for listening pleasure. If you click on t=
he
>> individual tracks you can read the story behind some of the recordings.
>
> Thanks for the gift, but forgive my bad manners for looking it in the mou=
th a little=E2=80=A6

> I heard motors in the seaside recording near the beginning. Then I heard =
gravel crunching, and didn't know whether it was a car passing or gravel in=
 the surf at first. Then there was a train in the night sequence.

> It used to be that we would stop and curse when human sounds intruded on =
our recordings. More often now we record through, because our media aren't =
so limited in length (as tape was), and, as you say, for accurate documenta=
tion of the soundscape conditions.

> I agree that the human sounds are interesting, but I fear they may cut th=
e audience for your production down to just a few phonographers. I turn in =
my raw footage to the parks where I record, for documentation. For artistic=
 works from the same material, I take out the human sounds with editing or =
filtering. When I listen to nature sounds I just want to hear nature, and I=
 think my taste is pretty typical.

> De gustibus non disputandum est, but perhaps you might consider that leav=
ing anthrophony in seems inconsistent with the subtitle of your web page, "=
Pristine, downloadable soundscapes of Eastern Canadian nature, for wellness=
, relaxation & personal listening."