Re: New Soundscapes

Subject: Re: New Soundscapes
From: "Danny McCarty" sr71mcd
Date: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:21 am ((PST))
Nice rant Mark.

On Jan 15, 2012, at 2:52 AM, Mark wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Sometimes I wonder, if we all became listeners and based decisions on the=
 disharmony of the things we hear with the same zeal as we presently make d=
ecisions on the way things look. If based upon that criteria, I have a feel=
ing we might get closer to fitting ourself back into nature and thus render=
ing all our well made points mute (pun intended)

> Instead of all the talk of planet x and 2012 being the end, how about a c=
onciousness shift to our third ear, with subtlies in sound becoming high ar=
t. I feel many in here have already made that shift and ... sure! its kinda=
 frustrating to be in such a minority, although if you listen to commercial=
 music you can feel such a huge hole of superficiality that comes down to n=
othing more than coorporate sponsorship to sell us crap.

> With the recent SOPA internet piracy act trying to pass. You can see the =
old gaurd trying to hold on as they know if they can manipulate data, they =
weild their persuasive power that much longer. Medias such as Fox News / Th=
e Hollywood Movie Industry / RaIa and quite a few other shitforbrains outfi=
ts lobbying for SOPA make it clear that subtle is not on their agenda. Scre=
aming loud crappy anthems through crappy mp3 encodings and mindless movie p=
lots in a technicolor orgasm of Super High Definition that wows your optic =
nerve but not your auditory one.... i just realized i ranted a lot of crap!=
 ^^ i'll stop there.

> Mark R.
>
> On Jan 15, 2012, at 11:55 AM, vickipowys <> wrot=
e:

> > Mark, Grant and all,
> >
> > It has been fascinating to read all the philosophical discussions re
> > your recordings!
> >
> > And lovely sounds they are too, now that I've finally got round to
> > listening.
> >
> > Mark I have to say that I was in theory quite happy to hear
> > fisherfolk at work and a train in the mist but when it came to it, I
> > found I had already entered into a different world with the wildlife
> > sounds and I then resented the loud droning sound of the motor boats,
> > noble workers or not, those boats sound not too different to any
> > other motor boat. And the train similarly distracted me away from
> > the lovely nature I had been absorbed into - had it been a more
> > distant train it might have been easier to take. Usually I like
> > trains, and it is a good train recording too. But I prefer these
> > particular recordings without human intrusions.
> >
> > Just my point of view.
> >
> > best wishes,
> >
> > Vicki
> >
> > On 10/01/2012, at 6:17 AM, Mark Brennan wrote:
> >
> > > Hello everyone, some very interesting items on here lately. I have
> > > been
> > > working on a new soundscape album, From Shore To Sanctuary which
> > > encompasses some of my favorite recordings from the last 2 years
> > > edited
> > > into three 22 minute long tracks. Each one is really an audio
> > > 'journey'
> > > through the soundscape of The Acadian Forest, Night (Sounds after
> > > dark) and
> > > the Northern Coastlines of Nova Scotia. You can find it here
> > > http://wildearthvoices.bandcamp.com/album/from-shore-to-sanctuary
> > >
> > > All the recordings come from Nova Scotia. This is free right now to
> > > those
> > > of you on nature recordists for a few days. In the 'art world' I
> > > often swap
> > > paintings with other artists!
> > >
> > > Cheers all.
> > >
> > > Mark